It’s something we should always keep in mind when using our gas furnace every year. It’s called the silent killer because it’s colorless and odorless, therefore hard to detect without a carbon monoxide detector or special tools. Symptoms include a dull headache, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, drowsiness, and confusion. If multiple people in your home are experiencing some or all of these symptoms, you should first, get fresh air immediately and seek medical attention then have a licensed technician perform diagnostics on your gas equipment for issues.
A carbon monoxide leak from your furnace could be due to a cracked heat exchanger where combustion takes place. The combusted air should be pulled from the system by the inducer motor, but if there’s a crack, that can allow for carbon monoxide and other gases to leak and be circulated through your home via your duct work.
Carbon monoxide can also leak into your home if moisture was able to find a way into your exhaust flue, cause the metal to rust, and then develop holes over time. Annual servicing of your furnace by trained technicians with the right tools will be able to diagnose a carbon monoxide leak.
If you suspect you have a carbon monoxide leak in your home, give us a call at 785-341-4193 to have our trained technicians perform diagnostics and keep you and your family safe.
De Hart Plumbing Heating and Cooling, serving Manhattan Kansas, Junction City Kansas, Wamego Kansas, Topeka Kansas, and some surrounding areas.