Holiday pet safety is important. The holiday season is one of the busiest times of the year and there are many hazards you will want to protect your pet from. Cats and dogs will be excited with all the new items around the house – wrapping paper, tinsel, ribbon, pine needles, strands of lights, extension cords etc. All of these new things attract a pet’s curiosity and they will explore by chewing and tasting and swallowing many of them. These foreign objects can wreak havoc on their digestive system and cause diarrhea and vomiting. Hide or cover electric cords as these can cause severe burns if your pet chews on them. Be mindful of leaving your pet unattended around these tempting holiday items. If you do suspect your pet has swallowed any foreign objects, get them to your vet immediately.
Poinsettias, mistletoe, pine tree needles and some other decorative flower items used in floral arrangements during the holidays can be toxic to your pets. Additives used to hydrate the Christmas tree can have a chemical agent that is not safe for pets to consume.
Beware the holiday feast as it is hard to resist giving your pet a taste of the good food. Table scraps are a leading cause of digestive upset in your pet. Sneaking the dog or kitty a fatty piece of turkey skin can lead to diarrhea or vomiting as your pets digestive system is not meant to have such rich food. And definitely beware ever giving your pet chocolate as it can be toxic even in small amounts. Pet food is made specifically for your pet’s digestion and is all you should ever feed them. Please keep your pets safe this holiday season. De Hart Plumbing Heating and Cooling serving Manhattan Kansas, Junction City Kansas, Wamego Kansas, Topeka Kansas and some surrounding areas.