Tips to Assist your AC System in a Heat Wave!
Did you know when we reach 100+ degree temperatures outside, your AC will struggle to cool your home 15-20 degrees lower than the outdoor temperature, this is how AC systems are designed. There are a few things you can do to assist your systems in keeping your home cooler.
- Set the thermostat higher – Keep the thermostat on 75-78 degrees or higher to help your AC stop fighting battles to cool the house down.
- Keep shades and curtains drawn – Keeping your shades and curtains closed will help block the sun from entering the home in turn giving the AC system a bit of a break.
- Close off unused rooms – Closing off unused rooms/ closing vents in those rooms will help the AC push air to the rooms you use most.
- Keep your ceiling fans going – While your ceiling fan does not cool the air in the room, it does help circulate air & cools you!
- Don’t use appliances on extremely hot days – Avoiding the dishwasher, dryer, or stove on super hot days will help the home stay cool. These appliances introduce new heat to the home in turn making the AC work harder!
- Get your AC system serviced! – Just like we get our vehicles serviced to keep them going, it is important to service the AC as well. Our VIP Membership covers the following items to get your AC system at its best!
- Check & Clean outdoor condenser
- Test operations of air conditioner & ensure proper operations
- Test return & supply air temperatures in the home
- Ensure refrigerant levels are within manufacturer guidelines
- Inspect evaporator coil for leaks, buildup, & corrosion
- Clean condensation drains
- Test for proper air flow
- Clean & test all electrical components so they are free of dust/ debris