- What is the Plumbing Code?
The plumbing code controls the design and installation of plumbing systems, including sanitary and storm sewers within the building, sanitary waste and vent piping, water supply piping, and potable water heating appliances.
When is a Plumbing Permit required?
A plumbing permit is required prior to beginning any plumbing work with the exception of the following. Repairs that only involve the working parts of a faucet or valve, clearance of stoppages, the repair or replacement of defective faucets or valves, provided that alterations are not made in the existing piping or fixtures. Chilled water piping for refrigeration, process and comfort cooling, hot water piping for space heating, and water piping for fire suppression systems are not considered plumbing. However, an approved backflow preventer, installed and certified by a licensed plumber, is required at the connection to the potable water supply.
Must I be a licensed plumber to obtain a plumbing permit?
A homeowner may obtain a plumbing permit for work to be done by them in their own home. The homeowner must file a homeowner’s affidavit with the application for a plumbing permit. Homeowner’s privileges extend to single family residences only and do not apply to any residence or structure from which a monetary gain (i.e. rent) is being received or is intended to be received or which is being used for commercial purposes. Permits for any work done in a commercial, multifamily residential, industrial, or other structure must be obtained by an authorized licensed master plumber.
How can I be sure the plumber I hired is licensed?
Ask the plumber to see his/her license or for his/her license number. Any reputable plumber will be glad to give you this information. You can then check the license by calling the Plumbing Division of the Riley County Code Office 785-587-4506.
Why does my water heater make rustling noises?
This is caused by calcium and mineral deposits in tank that reach high temperatures and pop.
How often should I flush my water heater?
Some manufacturers suggest every month – while others say every 6 months. We suggest 2 times a year.
How often should the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve (On The Water Heater) be checked?
Manufacturers suggest check once a year and replaced every 3 years.
How can I increase the efficiency and life of my home’s heating and cooling systems?
The most important thing you can do is clean and replace your filters frequently. Also, a system heats and cools more evenly when the blower is in the “on” position. The blower provides constant air movement throughout the home, and allows for better filtration. Finally, shades, drapes, shutters, or screens should be installed on windows that are exposed to extreme sunlight.
Why does my A/C smell the first day I turn it on in the spring?
During the winter the evaporator coil is inactive so some dirt accumulates on it. When the cooling is turned on for the first time and condensation starts to run down the coil a musty smell will occur until the dust and dirt has been rinsed off through normal operation. To prevent this the system probably needs a better filtering system.
How often should I replace my filters?
For optimum efficiency and filtration, we recommend that you replace your disposable filters at least once a month. If you have washable filters, they should be cleaned once a month.
What is a vent and what is its function in the plumbing system?
Vents overhang from every roof through which sewer gases evaporate out of the building. Indeed each drain must be properly vented to raise sewer gasses out through the roof, and prevent sewer odors from permeating the house.
What can I do to relief a partially clogged kitchen drain?
- Fill the sink with just enough water to cover the plunger’s cup positioned over the drain’s opening.
- Move the plunger up and down and repeat action until water drains easily out, indicating that you have lifted the obstruction.
- If plunger fails to unclog the drain then place an empty bucket under the sink’s trap. Unscrew the trap and see if you can take out the source of the obstruction.
- Employ a plumber’s snake if you cannot reach the clog yourself. Drain augers extending to different lengths will enable you to hit and break the clog.
What is the function of an aerator on a faucet?
An aerator is attached at the tip of the faucet to spread water flow into many small streams, and help save on water and reduce extensive splashing.
How do I clean the garbage disposal and maintain a fresh scented kitchen?
As a rule of thumb make sure to turn off power to the garbage disposal before cleaning this kitchen appliance.
- Method 1 – Pour 1.5 cups of baking soda down the kitchen drain along with a cup of white vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for several minutes before carefully pouring a medium size pot of boiling water to flush clean the drain.
- Method 2 – Mix a gallon of water with one tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach and pour the solution down the drain. After a couple of minutes flush the drain with cold water.
- Fresh Scent – Place several ice cubes together with citrus fruit’s rinds in the drain and grind clean the disposal’s cutting blades while adding a pinch of fresh sent to the kitchen.
Why are traps located under plumbing fixtures?
A trap is a U, S, or J-shaped pipe located below or within a plumbing fixture. Each drain trap retains a water seal to prevent sewer gases from penetrating buildings.
How do I prevent my water lines from freezing?
- Leave the faucet drip slightly as a trickle. The dripping water will keep the water in the pipe from freezing.
- Open kitchen base cabinet and let room air circulate.
- Open kitchen base cabinet and place a small portable heater near or in it to heat the pipes.
- Wrap the problem pipe with electrical heat tape.
- Insulate the problem pipes with foam insulation wrap, especially those that run through unheated spaces.
- Place a heater in the crawlspace. You just need to elevate the crawlspace temperature to just above freezing(shoot for more than 40°F).
De Hart Plumbing, Heating and Cooling serving Manhattan KS, Junction City KS, Wamego KS, and Topeka, KS
Plumbing, Plumbers, Heating, Cooling, Furnace, Air Conditioning